Once a week I try to do one thing that is relaxing, pampering, and good for my body. This rice water face elixir and hair mask uses an infusion of rice water and essential oils to help soften and strengthen both skin and hair.
I truly wished this happened every week and I plan on making a DIY beauty treatment calendar so that I actually do it. I hate to put things on the calendar because I like to believe I have it all together and that I don’t want to be tied to my schedule. Ugh. The irony. Productivity gurus say to schedule everything: to make sure it happens, and to cut out decision time during the execution of the day. They’re probably right, and someday I will do this. Stay tuned. (enter procrastination mode)
This rice water is super easy, super gentle, and super customizable. I’ve added essential oils here, but if you don’t have any, the rice water alone will be sufficient for a noticeable difference.
I was surprised how effective and simple the rice water was for both my face and hair.
- bowl or jar (I used a pint sized mason jar)
- 1/2 cup rice
- desired essential oils (optional)
- 1 Tbsp oil (optional for hair mask)
- Put rice in mason jar
- Fill jar with water just below the rim
- Let it set on the counter for at least a half hour. I’ve set mine out overnight.
- Strain the rice from the water and add essential oils if you want.
Rice Water Face Elixir
Add 5-10 drops lavender essential oil and put in spray bottle or apply with cotton balls.
Two ways to use:
- Spritz onto face and towel off.
- Apply in layers with cotton ball and leave on for 10-20 minutes. Rinse face with lukewarm water and moisturize.
*This will not stay good on the counter. You could keep it in the refrigerator for about two weeks to use daily or use for a day or two and then use the rest for a hair mask.
Put rice water in a hair color applicator bottle and add:
- 5 drops lavender
- 5 drops rosemary
- a few drops lemon (if you have blonde hair)
- 1 Tbsp oil
- Castor oil for dry hair
- olive, almond, or jojoba oil for oily hair
- avocado oil mimics the body’s natural oils for hair the best
Shake vigorously to mix the water and oil. Apply to scalp and massage down to ends. The rosemary helps with hair growth and is stimulating for the scalp. Massage for a full minute or two if your arms and fingers can handle it. Wrap hair up and cover with shower cap or saran wrap for about a half hour. Shampoo and condition as usual. Don’t be surprised if you smell like you just left the spa.
*The wasted leftover rice? I add more water and cook the rice in the microwave for a few minutes for the dog, but watch out it overflows and makes a mess of your microwave in a hurry if you’re not watching it.